Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Starting to think about the basement...

I can't believe it! Now that we have the dock out of our basement, we are starting to think about finishing it. This will be a long process... The first step is to do the cabinetry design, since that will probably drive a lot of our other decisions. The cabinet for the downstairs bath is already complete. We had that made at the same time as the cabinetry for the rest of the house, but there seems to be a lot more that we will need made.

Here is a basic floorplan of what we have to work with.

Photobucket

The most important piece is a large wet bar. I'm working on a design for the corner that will tie into the one pole that we have in the basement. We also need to decide what amenities we want in the bar area. A sink (check), fridge or beverage center (check), keg fridge (?), ice maker (?), dishwasher(?).

From behind the bar, there is access to a wine cellar/pantry. I'm thinking of putting a second full fridge in there, for food and drink "overflow" and then cabinets all around the perimeter so we have lots of extra storage.

Finally, I'd like to do a full wall of cabinetry along the fireplace wall. We are planning one to three TV mounted on the wall and a large sectional in front of it. I'm envisioning incorporation of some cubbies, almost like a mud room, to capture the shoes, towels and miscellaneous beach "junk" as it comes in the door. We have the shop on the other side for large beach items, but I just know that if we don't have proper storage here, right off the french doors, everything will pile up on the floor by the door.

For flooring, we are leaning to tile throughout. We have also considered stained concrete, but we really need something that will be able to clean up well and won't be damaged by all the sand I'm sure will find it's way in.

The dogs have a doggie door in the shop, so we also need to figure out if we want to put second door inside to allow them to easily get from the shop into the main house, and if so, do we have them come through the mechanical room or should it go into the guest bedroom. Neither seem like great options at this point.

Lots to think about and lots to plan. Also, lots of saving to be done. :0

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for ideas for my mud room. Your house is beautiful! I have a similar shade of yellow in my kitchen and was looking for a complimentary color for my mud room. Would you by chance remember the color that is surrounding your coat cubbies? I't the most beautiful shade of blue and I would love to use it in my mud room. I think it may be the laundry room color.
Thanks so much! Jessica
My email is thebrownfam@gmail.com

JaymieLO said...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for you comment and compliments. The color in our mudroom is Studio Blue Green from Sherwin Williams Historic Arts & Crafts collection. (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/paint_color_palette/color_themes/interior/int_arts/index.jsp) We have the same color in the adjacent powder and it is easy to accessorize and work with. Good luck on your project!

Jaymie

Post a Comment