Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Struggling with colors

I know that fairly soon I'll have to give my paint choices to our GC and I'm feeling a bit uncertain. I thought I knew what we wanted, but when I sat down to write it all down, I wasn't so sure.

I'd like an "organic, food inspired" palette and the color wheel I've been working with is Sherwin Williams. On the main floor, my office is Leapfrog. The dining room is Peppery and the great room, foyer, nook and kitchen are Sundance. I'm copying this color combination from our previous house where I really loved it. For the powder and laundry room, I've chosen Studio Blue Green and for the master suite, Raindrop. I'd like to draw the water into the room in the Master.

Photobucket

Upstairs is more of a challenge for me. My first (and biggest) problem is the hallway. This is visible from the Great Room, so the paint needs to coordinate with the Sundance color. I was thinking of using Softened Green down the hall, but I've recently reconsidered and switched to Sole which is a shade lighter than the Sundane in the Great Room. My other challenge is we pay for every paint color change (is that really fair? ;) ) so I'm trying to limit this a bit. We have two little boys who alternate between saying they are going to share a room and have their own room, but I'm picturing a nautical or space theme in their room, so I put Candid Blue in BR 2. In their bathroom, I went a shade lighter with Blue Chick. I'm thinking of a chocolatey color in BR3 in case one of the boys end up moving there, maybe either Latte or Hopsack. In the Media room, I'm thinking a rich relaxing green like Artichoke or Clary Sage (or perhaps some combination if I paint the dormers a different color. Finally, I think I will use Softened Green in the guest bedroom and bath. I really limited my colors, didn't I?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment