Thursday, February 7, 2008

Getting stoned.

HVAC is going in today, but let's talk about something interesting. We choose the soapstone slabs for the kitchen this morning. There was much turmoil and redesign attempted after I discovered soapstone, decided that I had to have it and then found out that I just wasn't going to be able to find a slab large enough to cover the entire island. Soapstone slabs are generally smaller than granite because the quarries are shorter lived (from what I understand) so it isn't profitable to bring in the larger slab cutters. I toyed with reducing the size of the island, incorporating butcher block, etc. In the end, I decided to do a butterfly (or book matched) seam down the center, which I hope look striking and like a design choice rather than simply a necessary evil. So, without further ado, here are a few pictures of the two slabs we will need to complete the island and kitchen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We also made choices for bathrooms. In the powder room, we will use "Sucupira Brown".

Photobucket

The boy's bath will have "Ubatuba".

Photobucket

and the guest bath will be done in "Black Palmares". I'm still thinking Carerra marbe in the Master bathroom, but I need to get a bit more information on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment